In “The race for autonomous vehicles is over. Silicon Valley lost.” John McElroy (Twitter: @Autoline) makes some excellent points. Here are my cliff notes:
- Some companies are based on 10% margins
- Some companies are based on 40% margins
- Manufacturing at scale is HARD and requires years of DNA development
- Innovation at web scale/speed might be best done in Silicon Valley
- The battle for the the Autonomous Car itself is over; Detroit won.
The battle the the REAL prize; the data generated by people and families as they use Autonomous Vehicles is just being considered.