Some observations of late:
- The only reason to have a network is so that application traffic can traverse it.
- The days of network engineers being able to keep up by typing IOS commands are quickly coming to an end
- Network engineers are, out of necessity, learning to write software to help them do (and keep and excel in) their jobs
- The space between networking- and applications-management is disappearing quickly
- Application-Centric Networking is currently (c. May 2016) a philosophy and will become a technology
- SDN will make the network invisible (iow, software will eat the network)